Ok, so one of the staples on the Ideal Protein meal plan is cruciferous veggies, and cauliflower is one that has quickly become my favorite! It is so versatile, I had no idea all the cool stuff it could do. So, in case you were wondering, it can:
1. Be grated and quickly sautéed in a tablespoon of olive oil to use in place of rice for a stir fry.
2. It can be steamed and then mashed with garlic and herbs instead of mashed potatoes.
3. And most astonishingly, it can be turned into bread! BREAD! Yes, blink, and read that again, because I said bread!
I’ve found a few online recipes for cauliflower breadsticks and pizza dough, and both were pretty good. But the one that is my favorite, is the tortillas! I followed this recipe on the brilliant and wonderful Joshua Weissman’s blog, Simple Palate.
His pictures and process are spot on, so I won’t replicate them here. But, I did change on thing up, in that I used purple cauliflower. It does exist, if you’ve never tried it. Tastes just like regular cauliflower, but is prettier to cook with. And when used in Josh’s recipe, it comes out looking like blue corn tortillas!
Now, you want to follow the recipe exactly the first time, and then experiment with flavors, but the original is super tasty with just salt and pepper. There are a few tips I’ll give:
1. Make sure you wring out all the water! Wear rubber dish washing gloves. Use cheesecloth. And wring that stuff until you can’t wring any more! Bonus, you get a good arm workout.
2. Don’t be surprised by how little cauliflower is in the cheesecloth when you’re done wringing out the water. A little goes a long way.
3. I made 3 taco sized tortillas out of it, but you could do two larger tortillas, or a bunch of smaller ones. But the key here is that the ‘dough’ is more like a ‘batter’. Think pancakes batter. So, when you put them on the parchment, it’s going to look runny and lumpy. Trust me, it’s all good.
4. Toasting them in a dry pan right before serving is what makes them taste and feel like a tortilla. So, don’t skip this step.
Below is a photo of my faux blue corn tortillas made from purple cauliflower, stuffed with ground turkey seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and a touch of cayenne, and some micro greens, all topped with a few drops of hot
And the bread craving I’ve been having over the past month is gone, yo!
Try them! You won’t be disappointed.
Ciao for now,